OUR MISSION: To explore, evaluate, and pass on the good found in the great books, art, and music of Western Civilization, by way of a Christian view of life and the world.
What is tutorial education?
Our tutorial approach is a pedagogy that includes a combination of small group meetings and one-on-one time with your professors. Each week the students attend a lecture by one of the Center faculty, meet with their assigned tutors, and also attend a group discussion time for all students and faculty. During tutorials, assignments are discussed, papers are prepared and presented, and the tutor makes evaluations about what would be good for that specific student to address next. It might mean that one student is investigating questions that the others are not. Each individual student is given work that touches his specific interests within the framework of the group’s readings.
The beauty of this way of study is manifold:
- affords a student one-on-one time with a college professor every week
- affords a student experience with college level work without pressure for grades
- affords tailoring of academic direction toward the student’s interests
- builds a love for learning, since connections are constantly being made between the student’s love for God and the subject at hand
- encourages life-long learning
- follows the Socratic method that argues truth is discovered in the interaction between two people rather than only through the textbook or didactic teaching (lecture).
Faculty member John Walker has passed away after a long series of illnesses.
Visitation, 4pm, Wed, Feb 1
Funeral 5pm, Wed, Feb 1
at the Serenity Funeral Home on
1638 Sycamore View Road
We will miss you terribly, John, but we know that you are now healed of all ills, and for that we are glad. You were an inspiration to a generation of students at Crichton and at the Center.
The Center's Video Lecture Series features a closer look at the philosophy, concepts, and ideas which are foundational to the teaching at The Center for Western Studies. You can discuss your thoughts about the video here on the Facebook Forum with other thoughtful members.
THE CENTER FOR WESTERN STUDIES
932 HARBOR VIEW DRIVE
MEMPHIS, TN 38103